Thursday, May 25, 2006

Rule Tackles Blowouts In High School Football

quote[In what some are referring to as the "Cochran rule," the Connecticut Interscholastic Athletic Conference football committee passed a score management policy to be instituted next season. The rule says if a team wins by 50 or more points, the coach is suspended for the next game.]

Okay, this is a local story. But it really has raised my ire. What is the point of sports if we aren't trying to teach competitiveness? Also, isn't it just as important to experience victory and defeat?

I think what really bugs me is that they are trying to force a coach to ask his players NOT to give it their all. That, to me, is disgusting. If you want to protect fragile ego's (to which I also disagree), there are other ways of dealing with this. You could let the clock run out after a certain score differential, etc...

This is just wrong, and sends a bad message to our kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment